Monday, April 28, 2008

I am ready to go pro! (NOT!)

I was thinking today...as I often do...and I started thinking about all the amazing things that God is doing.  Crazy things are happening in my life, my friends lives, my church, and across our nation and the world!  I was thinking that I hope that I never become a "pro" at the things of God.  Let me explain...

I do not want to become a professional pray-er.  The SECOND I feel like I am the best at praying, my prayers will be worthless because at that moment pride will enter my life and we all know how God feels about the proud.  He will strike me down! ha.  This thought came because I have been thinking of the young adults prayer times on Fridays and and also on Sunday and they have been amazing!
Let me pause here for a quick rabbit trail...Friday night Jonathan spoke on unity and the importance of it and what could happen if we were truly unified.  Anyways...after he finished speaking we decided to pray for a few minutes...he said around 20 mins...after about 30 minutes we decided to walk over to the youth facility and pray for the youth.  On our walk over there, at least for me, I was getting pumped up.  As soon as we opened the door to the youth facility, it was on!  The spirit of prayer and intercession was all over us and boy we let the devil and his demons have it good!  We cried out to God, and prayed, and yelled against every power of darkness we could think of for around 30-45 minutes.  It was pretty intense!  When we finished there, we went over to the middle school sanctuary and prayed our hearts again.  I believe that God heard us that night and I am excited about youth service this week.

So back to what I was saying earleir, I have really been learning to pray.  I mean, not just "bless this day amen" I'm talking about serious prayer.  I am learning a lot.  I am starting to begin to feel some of the burdens of God's heart and it makes me passionate when I pray.  Don't look at this like I'm saying I'm the man...cuz I'm not.  I'm just letting God put some stuff in my heart and when He does, I can't help but get passionate about it.  Most of the time I have no idea what to say when I pray but I just start by lifting God up and open my mouth and the cries of my heart begin to come out.  I want that to always be the case.  God help me if I start to pray just to sound holy.  I don't want to just waste oxygen with empty words.  I want heaven to stop and listen to me when I pray because I am real and care about the things God cares about and I am broken for the lost and hurting and needy.  All that to say, if you want to learn to pray, ask God for your heart to break for things that break his heart and to be excited about the things that make him excited.  Believe me, if you will do that, you have no choice but to become a praying person because you will not be able to accomplish a thing if you don't pray.  Honestly, I don't know how I made it so long without a strong prayer life...I mean... for the longest time, when it came to my personal prayer time, it was pretty lame.  

So, now that I have no secrets and I just bared my soul for the entire internet world to see...hope it encouraged you or convicted you...love love

1 comment:

Alysia said...

it was a blessing to read. :)